It is well known that the valiant members in our country, who have served in any branch of the U.S Armed Forces, have access to some exclusive benefits. Anyone who has served or is currently serving in the U.S Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy is eligible to receive benefits pertaining to college tuition, housing loans, life insurance, and health care. There are however, many additional benefits available to those who have served our country. Below you will find a list of five veteran benefits that not everyone knows about.
1. Care for Elderly. Veterans may qualify to receive help paying for home care, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities for themselves or their spouses. With help from the Aid and Attendance program, veterans and their families don’t have to carry the burden of high costs associated with old-age care all on their own. Qualifying veterans can receive up to $25,000 annually.
2. Certification Programs. Recruiters for the U.S Armed Forces are sure to let their new recruits know about the four year college tuition that the military offers to help with. What they don’t usually tell the men and women who have recently enlisted or are interested in enlisting is that veterans are also eligible to receive up to $2,000 for certification programs or other forms of vocational training.
3. Retail and Restaurant Discounts. Many retail stores and restaurants offer people who are serving or have served in the U.S Armed forces, discounts on their products and services. One such store is Apple. The well-known retailer’s popular electronics are available to veterans at a discounted rate, usually 5-10%. There is a special online site that veterans can purchase the discounted goods through or veterans can receive their discount on iPhones, macs, and a wide range of other products in Apple stores.
4. Tax Preparation Services. Preparing taxes can be a real hassle. If you are veteran, you can make filing your taxes less of a challenge by taking advantage of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance office on your local military base. Free tax preparation is provided by highly trained volunteers through the VITA program available to veterans. Why struggle to prepare your taxes when there are plenty of experienced and helpful individuals ready and able to help you with your taxes?
5. Discounted Homes. Veterans might be aware of the home loans that they are eligible to receive, but might not be aware of the discounts on certain homes that they can lay claim to. Veterans are able to purchase foreclosed homes that were financed with VA loans at a discount.